Monday, May 16, 2011

Best Dad Ever


Don't we all have the best Dads ever? Doesn't he deserve an awesome card for a day that honors him!? Or why not honor all of the Dads in your life?
I'm going to kick off my Father's Day cards with this FUN hybrid card! LOVE this digital motorcycle stamp! I wish Stampin Up still had it available in a stamp, but you could actually be slapping this baby on a card in about 5 minutes! It's one of hundreds of digital designs that SU has available to download! With a few clicks of your mouse you can have this printed out and in your hands in no time!
(Please keep in mind that to take advantage of the "Preferred Price" you must order from my online store or your Stampin Up demonstrator's online store)
I'll bet you are wondering about that cool shiny background right? Would you love it if I said you can do this with what you probably have at home? :)
Supplies Needed to Make Faux Metal Background:
- Cardstock (use the cheapest you have on hand or you can use scrap cardstock in any color)
- Glue Stick
- Brayer or Rolling Pin
- Aluminum Foil (heavy duty or regular will work)
- Rotary Blade Paper Trimmer OR Scissors (Paper Trimmers with the small blade, like Fiskars, will just rip the foil when you cut it)
- Embossing Folders and Big Shot (optional-you don't have to have the embossed design)

Directions:
1. Take your piece of cardstock and cover with your glue stick. (I have found that the consistancy of the glue stick works the best)
2. Take your aluminum foil and carefully lay over your cardstock. (Crazy enough the aluminum foil is 12 inches wide and is perfect for making sheets using 12x12 cardstock)
3. Use your brayer and roll over the aluminum foil to smooth out any air bubbles.
4. Trim to the size you need and emboss with your Big Shot! (If the foil lifts up at the edge simply reapply Glue Stick underneath and use your brayer to smooth back out BEFORE you emboss it.)

And that's all, folks! Can you believe that in 4 easy steps you have an awesome background!? Who wouldn't love that card?
If you are wondering how I colored the motorcycle image I simply used the Aqua Painters. I actually printed my motorcycle image out on watercolor paper on the watercolor paper setting on my printer. (I have an Epson R1800 large format printer)
To distress the edges I went along the edge with my Aqua Painter in black and brown ink. Gotta love those Aqua Painters!
Well I really hope you liked today's card! I'll post another fun card tomorrow using the same faux metal technique. It's a card I taught at Stamper's Night Out using the Friends Rock stamp set!
Hope Monday was kind to you! See you tomorrow! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi April,

    I really love this card!!! I was wondering which embossing folder did you use to make the tread marks?

    Thanks so much and keep up the beautiful work!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April!

    Fellow, for the moment anyway, SU Demo here. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for what you wrote about the ridiculous SU policies concerning linking blogs! I won't be posting there any longer myself, but I'm glad I found you on my way out!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete